Patient Financial Counselor II will be responsible for maintaining effective communication between patients, infusion site nurses, financial assistance programs, practice organizations, and other departments as needed. Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, advanced computer literacy, ability to perform basic mathematical calculations and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment. Will be responsible for researching and securing available financial assistance programs to assist patients in reducing infusion therapy costs. Additionally, will work closely with patients to ensure understanding of medical insurance benefits, collecting patient financial responsibility and provide financial counseling as needed.
- Provides best in class customer service by phone, email and in person.
- Returns messages and handles outbound calls to collect on self-pay accounts.
- Maintains a high level of customer satisfaction by providing appropriate/applicable levels of competency and professionalism to ensure solutions are provided timely, accurately, and efficiently.
- Maintain knowledge of each financial assistance program and their current qualifying guidelines and criteria. Be able to communicate these requirements effectively to patients.
- Screen patients for eligibility and assists in applying for pharmaceutical or charitable drug assistance.
- Identify and secure patient funding through various financial assistance programs, foundations, and payment plan options.
- Ability to thoroughly explain medical insurance benefits to patients as it relates to their estimated financial responsibility for infusion therapy services.
- Manage work queue to department standards for productivity and quality.
- Performs follow up activities on all accounts to ensure prompt payment.
- Negotiates payment plans on Patient Balance accounts utilizing established policies.
- Communicate daily with professional medical personnel (doctors, nurses, pharmacy staff, patient advocates) to carry out program operations.
- Respond quickly to issues or concerns from customers and patients.
- Maintain PHI and HIPAA compliance.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned by Management.
- 3+ years relevant experience in Healthcare required
- Must have strong understanding of confidentiality of patient records and HIPAA compliance.
- Remote – to The Woodlands, TX area. Must reside within 2 hours driving distance of the hub location
- Experience with patient advocacy, pharmacy or patient assistance programs preferred.
- Independent worker can set own timelines/deadlines and goals.
- Excellent and effective business communication skills both verbally and in writing
- Must be proactive and take initiative.
- Must have ability to manage multiple, concurrent priorities, strong time management and prioritization skills.
- Must be team oriented.
- Must demonstrate an understanding of reimbursement practices including government programs (Medicare, Medicaid), commercial programs, and how these payers’ coordinate benefits.